- Arrive by bus in the morning. Find out how that went >
- We begin hostel hunting but are exhausted. Find a decent place and settle in for a nap.
- Wandered around the cute, charming downtown area. We notice that tuk-tuk duvets are much less aggressive.
- Headed to a bar called Utopia, right on the riverfront. They had a patio where we could lie down, drink Beerlao and eat.
- I ate laap, a traditional Lao disg. Strong lemongrass flavor, delish!
- We watched the sun set and walked to the night market.
- Got a foot massage in the way home.
- We watched the monks give alms in the morning.
- Headed to a yoga class on the Nam Khan River, peaceful.
- Hiked up That Chomsi Stupa on the way back. Beautiful views of the city and river. We stumbled into a cave that had a Buddha statue hidden inside.
- We changed hostels so we didn’t have to deal with a “curfew” on NYE.
- Went to the library to volunteer speaking English with locals. Ended up chatting with a bunch of kids. Tough at first since we didn’t speak each other’s languages.
- Went to the Red Cross – a local sauna hangout. We got massages, sat in the sauna, and drank hot tea. Rough evening, I know. It was quite a cleansing way to finish off the year.
- Celebrated NYE at Utopia. We watched giant paper lanterns float up into the sky and a “burning man” went up in flames at midnight.